Saturday, May 7, 2011

Morals from my last post.

These are the abriged morals and lessons from my trip.

We met a thru-hiker named Grasshopper who was probably in his 60's. On a rather long uphill on Wednesday he passed us and Keri said "I don't know how those guys do it, without taking breaks." He said "Oh they take breaks, you just don't see them, but you gotta hike your own hike." "Gotta Hike your Hike" became our catch phrase for the trip, and will probably be something I say for the rest of my life.

Some people hike to get places, see things, or feel the accomplishment of doing it. While those are sub-goals, I hike to feel the relief of taking off my pack. Taking off my pack at overlooks, halfway up a mountain, and at a shelter. That relief puts everything into perspective. Its like being done with a paper, or taking off a suit at the end of a long day. No trial lasts forever.

I like to take breaks and hike slow, it helps me to forget about the shelter or town coming up. Its about the journey, not the destination. As a wise man once said "Gotta hike your hike."

Blisters Suck.

Granola/ cereal bars that don't have over 100 calories are useless.

The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles would be awesome to hang out with for the following reasons...
  1. Unlimited supply of pizza
  2. Chance to learn the secret art of Ninja
  3. Zaney catch phrases
  4. They are girl magnets, but they can't date these girls
  5. People will think I am very accepting
  6. Hanging out in sewers and abandoned subway stations is probably really cool

1 comment: